Sunday, May 18, 2014

Welcome to California!

We have been in California for a week now and we have stayed busy!  We kicked off last week with an afternoon of house hunting.  John and I have been looking forward to buying a home since we left Alaska.  Boy were we in for sticker shock!  I believe that if you are going to go into debt to buy a house, you might as well love the house you are in. Unfortunately, we have not been able to find a house that we loved within our budget.

During our house hunting adventures we did stumble across a home that, as landlords, is our worst nightmare.  The outside of the home was gorgeous and it had an awesome back yard.  When we took a peek inside... we were shocked.  The tenants' dog had torn the walls to shreds in some places, the grout in the kitchen would have had to been replaced, the carpets needed to be deep cleaned or replaced, and the garage smelled like cigarette smoke. Oh yeah...during our tour I found a melted push pop in a cabinet. o.O The tenant was supposedly a realtor.  How could the tenant let this happen??? All I could think was "What if this happens to our house in Alaska???"   The market here doesn't appear to be buyer friendly, so we have moved on to Plan B- renting.

 We are close to settling on a house to rent. We are hoping to look at one more house this week before making a decision.  At this point, I'd be ok with setting up my bed in a park.  I just want to sleep in my own bed.  Since December 15th we have been in hotels or TLFs for all but 3 weeks.  I miss my stuff. It would be nice to not cycle through the same summer clothes over and over again.  I would like to microwave a meal and not have the Internet crap out on me. I would like to have a clean and spotless bathroom. A thermostat that actually works would be a major bonus at this point.  Oh yes..  in Alaska, our TLF thermostat  was stuck on high so we had to open the windows to cool off.  Now that we are in California?  Our AC doesn't work at all and we have no fan in the room. *facepalm*

We did manage to arrive to California just in time for allergy season.  Poor John has been suffering all week.  Supposedly June is better. I guess time will tell!  Speaking of June... my sister graduates high school in just a couple of weeks!    If we can get settled into a home before my flight out, I should be able to spend some extended time in Florida.  I'm stoked! I'm ready for some sunshine and time with family and friends.

So tomorrow begins a new week!  My fingers are crossed that we find a place to call "home" soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment