Saturday, December 21, 2013

Hayman, Zombie Cows, and Snow- Oh My!

We have finally arrived in Wichita, Kansas!

Our day started late.  John and I are exhausted from all the move prep and the long days of driving.  I'm also struggling to adjust to the timezones (nights aren't a problem, but the mornings are horrible!)  We took the opportunity to sleep in this morning.  We figured 8 hours of driving wouldn't be too bad.  Since Hannah decided Friday night that playing in the fireplace would be a great way to end the night, I did a quick sweep of the room to make sure there were no paw prints left behind.  Hannah decided this morning that she wanted to play "catch me if you can".  So I was on one side of the bed and John was on the other, each of us trying to coax her out so we could get on the road.

We stopped by the Air Force Academy so John could give me the grand tour. It was neat seeing the campus.  I'm one of those people who would probably do horrible at a place like the AFA.  I have a teensie rebellious streak, and after I heard some of the rules the AFA has... I know that I wouldn't last long in a place like that. While we were there, I insisted John pick up a new Air Force sweatshirt. His other one has been... well loved.

On our way out of Colorado we found a hayman- he looks ready for Christmas!

We drove by a lot of pasture and farmland, so John and I began the My Cows game.  Essentially, whenever you see a herd of cattle the first person to shout out "my cows!"  gets to "keep" the herd.  If you spot a cemetery  you say "all your cows are dead" to kill off your competitions herd.  It got boring fast.  (there were tons of cattle and NO cemeteries in sight for the longest time). So... we added on to the game- zombie cows. So if John killed off my cows- if I saw a cemetery later on, I could yell "zombie cows" and essentially my herd would "devour" his.   It definitely made the game a little bit more entertaining.  We're still working out the rules of using zombie cows, so we'll see how it turns out!

"my cows"

We took turns driving and I finally gave up my portion of driving when I started to get sleepy.  We stopped for dinner in some random town in Kansas.  Not too long after we got back on the road, we heard a weather advisory on the radio so John had me pull up the information on one of his weather maps.  Just as I was finishing reading the advisory, it started dumping snow. And it continued to dump snow.  Everyone around us started slowing down to 20-40 mph.  We debated stopping for the night, but decided to continue on so we wouldn't add additional travel time on to Sunday.  So many people ended up in the ditch.  As John and I are driving along  (passing all the other cars on the road), I found myself grateful for the time we spent in Alaska.  Driving on the interstate in this snowstorm was a cake walk compared to driving on some of the roads in Alaska.

Begley and Hannah have settled in for the night.  Hannah tried to escape the room while we were bringing in luggage.  Now that I think about it... she tried to escape a few times today.  She also tried to escaping when I had to take her through security at the Anchorage airport.  Apparently she just doesn't want to be with us on this trip. :(

So here we are in Wichita.   We had a 10 hour drive time instead of 8, but hey- we made it in one piece.  Tomorrow we head to Little Rock to visit a few friends.  Monday we are back in the south!



No comments:

Post a Comment